Mark leads our Real Estate team where he focuses on major transactions in all property sectors, acting for developers of commercial and residential strata title developments, and leasing for all property sectors. Mark has worked as a property lawyer for 20 years and understands the importance of negotiation skills, commerciality, and getting the documents right. Mark is recognised in Best Lawyers in Australia (2022, 2021) for Real Property Law.
Some key transactions Mark has recently been involved in include:
- John Maddison Tower (Sydney) – advising Telane Pty Ltd on the complex restructuring of the leasing arrangement for the John Maddison Tower located at Goulburn Street, Sydney (crown leasehold and subleased to the Department of Justice), including negotiating and documenting reconfiguration of the head lease, amending the existing financing arrangement, negotiating and finalising a new sublease and then advising on the purchase of the rental stream deriving from the sublease on a net present value basis by ANZ through a structured receivables purchase facility.
- Forza Capital – acting on the acquisition of a large A-grade commercial office building at 10 Browning Street (South Brisbane), the $24 million acquisition of a government tenanted commercial office building located at 55 Russell St (South Brisbane), and the acquisition, leasing and subsequent disposal of a 14 storey commercial office building and ground level retail centre at 420 George Street in the Brisbane CBD.
- Hotel acquisitions (Tasmania) – advising Pentagon Group on the acquisition of the freehold and business in one line of three hotels located in Tasmania (Olde Tudor Hotel, Bayside Inn, Foreshore Tavern), including due diligence of the freehold and business assets, transfer of licences, transfer of the owners' corporate management rights, and other licensing arrangements.
- StoreInvest – advising on the acquisition and development of several sites, including a greenfield development site at Hendra (Brisbane airport precinct) and the corresponding commercial off the plan development of the site and establishing a strata scheme and body corporate as well as the acquisition of two storage facility sites in Victoria. Our role included drafting, negotiating and advising on the construction contracts.
- Universal Self Storage Funds Management – advising on the sale of self-storage facilities and businesses (located at Albion and Kelvin Grove in Brisbane and Canterbury in Melbourne) in a single transaction, including negotiating a complex suite of business sale and land sale contracts plus negotiating the completion of the construction contract at the Melbourne site.
- Tomkins Property Investments – advising on site acquisitions, development projects and design and lease arrangements, including the acquisition of sites in newly developed industrial precincts in Yarrabilba and North Lakes (Brisbane) and infill industrial sites in Nundah (Brisbane), including the site acquisition, planning and other approval process, initial negotiations with tenants, drafting agreements to lease, and finalising documentation through to completion.
- Flinders Street Tower (Townsville) – advising Friday Group on the sale of Flinders St Tower, a commercial office building in Townsville, including complex negotiations dealing with a large government authority tenant and the potential leasing up of vacant space after the exchange of contracts, with a contingent floating price mechanism, as well as dealing with contamination remediation and combustible cladding issues.
- Crown Plaza Iririki Resort (Vanuatu) – advising iProsperity Group on the proposed acquisition of this resort in Vanuatu, including negotiating and finalising all acquisition financing, conducting comprehensive due diligence on land tenure, leasing arrangements and liquor licensing and gaming compliance.
- Taigum Village shopping centre – advising a group of private developers on the acquisition of the Taigum Village shopping centre site (located in suburban Brisbane), off the plan leasing, including leasing work for the anchor tenant, ongoing leasing work, and the ultimate sale of the site which achieved a record cap rate for assets of its class in Queensland.
- Seven Fields and Abbotsleigh Citrus – advising on the sale of land and business assets valued at $90 million to a Hong Kong-based investment company and the Nutrano Produce Group.
- Project development – advising a division of FK Gardner on redeveloping a number of service station sites with a multi-national energy company.
News & Publications
T 61 7 3239 2902
The latest edition of Fundamental is available now. Download your copy.
The latest edition of Financial Services Thinking is available now. Click here for all the latest news.
With fund managers asking 'Where to now?', the latest edition of our Toolkit for Fund Managers focuses on what actions you can take to help you reset for the road ahead. Download your copy.